Friday, July 3, 2015

#IKAFARSYATRAVEL to Pulau Pinang, Malaysia #DAY 1 – (Restoren Kapitan, Penang Street Arts, Masjid Kapitan Keling, Padang Kota Lama)



                                     Hello everybody! Assalamualaikum :)


Whoa it took me over a year just to update a new entry, so without no further here I would like to tell you some of my stories on my trip to Penang with a best friend of mine, IKA and SYA.


So we've decided to choose Penang as our first trip together. Why? Well because apparently none of us exploring Penang yet hahaha! At first we were considering other destinations like Singapore and Pulau Perhentian, but we weren’t prepared much (like passport for Singapore and do we want to consider driving for 8hours++ to go to Pulau Perhentian? Hell no! Taking flight? Last minute and a bit costly)

So Penang it is!

We took 2days off (Friday and Monday) to have our 4days and 3nights holiday. If some of you be like ‘4 days? Lamanya!, wait until you see our itinerary. Memang tak cukup masa and there are some of the places we didn't go due to lack of time.

We went straight from Selayang to Penang around 7am-ish because we planned to reach there by 12pm. I had not enough sleep yesterday night due to last minute packing, hahaha! (but I still had to drive anyways). I drove until R&R Tapah and we stopped there to have our breakfast. Luckily Ika’s mother prepared for us nasi kunyit with rendang ayam. We just have to buy hot drinks only.

Save money lulz! Thank you auntie! Muah ciked :p


From R&R Tapah, it was finally Ika’s turn to drive. Phewwwww.
As for Sya, she teman the driver since she doesn't have license yet hehe.

That feeling when someone else driving your car and you sit at the back.
Bestnyaaaaaaaaaa!
I took that opportunity to sleep, so Zzzzz


2 hours later, we were running out of fuel even before we reached Penang, and our conversations went like:


SYA: Far, berapa banyak awak isi minyak ni?
ME: Ermmm, RM50??
SYA: Laaa, RM50 je? Mana cukup ni Far.
IKA: Nak pergi Perak pun cukup2 je RM50 Far. Inikan pulak Penang.
ME: Errr hahaha *awkward laugh*


Please bear with me as that was my first time to Penang hahaha! But come to think of it, ada betul jugak kan? It took me RM50 to reach UiTM Perak when I was doing my degree there.

Let alone Penang!

Thankfully there’s nearby petrol station so we fill the tank.
FULL TANK!
Lesson learnt.


The moment that we have been waiting for, crossing JAMBATAN PULAU PINANG weehoo! We were so excited, as though rusa masuk kampung,  nomsain? Hahaha!


Photo taken while driving. Please don’t do this okay!




Alhamdulillah we have arrived Penang after 4-5hours of driving. Since it was 12pm-ish at that time, it’s time to have our next meal (lunch). 

Food is where the heart is.
Well, to me it is.


RESTORAN KAPITAN, LEBUH CHULIA




Famous with its nasi briyani, ayam tandoori, and naan cheese. We’ve tried their best selling NASI BRIYANI CLAYPOT. Definitely the best nasi briyani ever! And white sauce thing? Splendid! *two thumbs up*


Isn’t it tempting?
Total cost? Around RM15-20 for each person (with drink)


After having our lunch, we’ve decided to go straight to the hotel for check-in (plus everybody was so tired and muka pun selebet so we needed some freshen up).


HOTEL


Choosing hotel in Penang is not that difficult since there are many hotels available, from motel, guest house, 1 to 2 stars, and up to 5 stars as well. However, it was tricky for us since we want to ensure the security (since we are all ladies you know *cough) plus affordable and as for myself, I wanted a hotel that can provide free parking space for their guests (because apparently budget hotel don’t provide one, some hotels need to pay for parking like wth??). After few of considerations, we accepted Super8 Hotel at Lebuh Tye Sin with the price of RM444 for 4days 3nights. The room has 2 queen-sized bed, Ika and Sya were sharing the same bed, and me? I owned the other bed all by myself weeheee ;)

Not-so-backpackers hahaha!
I thank my Rara (my car's nickname) for the spacious bonnet hiks ;)

How our room looks like.
My bed was on the left side :)


Toilet



View from outside


Here’s my review if you want to consider this hotel.
(Unpaid/honest review)

Pro’s
·          FREE parking space for guest
·         CCTV available (24 hour security)
·         Clean and spacious room + bathroom (towels provided)
·         TV available
·         Coffee and tea provided (plus mineral water as token of welcome)
·         Air Cond available (some hotels don’t have one so I guess this is one of a pro’s)
·         Thick and soft blanket
·         Oh yesss, WIFI available!! Like duhh. Everybody needs that.
·         Nearby to popular places i.e Street Arts, Masjid Kapitan etc. (5-10mins distance)

Con’s
·         They don’t provide stuffs like shampoo, soap so do bring your own.
·         Some rooms don’t have a window (like ours), so it’s weird to us though.
·         Eventho coffee and tea provided, you have to get the hot water outside (next to the lift)
          No proper wardrobe (just few pengcangkuk baju thingy to hang your clothes, shawls etc) 

                                         Okay enough rambling. Moving on!


PENANG STREET ARTS


We went to Penang Street Arts later in the evening after done our jama' prayer and had enough rest. Since it’s kinda difficult to go there by car, we’ve rented a bicycle instead. It’s been sooooo long and I was somehow afraid if I don’t remember on how to ride a bicycle hahaha (glad that I still did!) We cycled around Penang Street by using maps given to us. Like, REAL GOOD OLD PAPER MAPS (not the GPS, waze y'know ahaks)

I don’t know why but for some reason, I found it funny to see us wandering around the street and we tend to get lost on our way. It’s like playing Treasure Hunt but this time it’s more like a “Finding Street Arts Hunt’. We didn’t go to all the street arts but we managed to take photos in some of popular and familiar ones.


 The three of us with our bicycle
Rent: RM8 per person (for whole day)

 We found that Ika is very good when it comes to map. See the map?
Most of the time, she was the one who found the street arts.
And I was like "Okay Ika, you lead the way"
Sebab nak malas cari hahaha.














Behind the scene hahaha!



The tallest shortest 


What else can we do other than asking someone to take photo for us?
This photo taken by these awesome dudes from Switzerland.
They're nice and friendly, and handsome too *cough*




MASJID KAPITAN KELING


Known as one of the oldest mosque in Malaysia, built in 1800s by Indian Muslims. We didn't get to pray there because we've done our prayer in a hotel. So we took photo instead.





Right next to Masjid Kapitan is Nasi Kandar Beratur, open everyday at 10pm but we weren't queuing cause we went to Padang Kota Lama to have our dinner.


PADANG KOTA LAMA

Before we end our day1 at Penang, we had our dinner at Padang Kota Lama to try out their famous local food; Pasembor. I don't know why they call it 'Pasembor', so don't ask me hahaha! I think it's basically like Yong Tau Fu thing, but with their own signature sauce. My piece of advice is to eat accordingly. Don't order too much or else that would be a waste, since pasembor here is a bit pricey. Ours was like, almost RM30! 


We shared pasembor together, on top of that we ordered laici kang, cendol, mee udang and char kuey tiow.
Hamik kau selera tak hengat dunia!

It's nice to try out Pasembor for the first time, however I have to do say that would probably be my last time since I don't enjoy the sauce. I would rather eat it without the sauce, but this is just my personal opinion. Some may like it, unfortunately i'm not. It's not that bad after all :)

Oh yeah, don't be surprise when you see lots of beggars asking for money from table to table. Just firmly say NO, I believe they won't harm you since they are many people around. 

Okay that wraps up our #DAY1 at Penang! Wait for my next entry of #DAY2 which will be coming up soon, inshaaAllah:)

THANK YOU FOR READING THIS ENTRY!


No comments: